In this week’s episode, Dan Pontefract and I are challenging the traditional notions of work-life balance and authenticity in the context of leadership. Our conversation is particularly special to me because Dan wrote the forward for my book – you can hear that story at the beginning of our conversation.
Dan and I unpack the myths surrounding work/life balance concepts and offer a fresh perspective on what it truly means to thrive both personally and professionally. Through engaging insights, he explains why separating work and life isn’t conducive to authentic self-expression and fulfillment in today’s interconnected world.
The episode takes a fascinating turn as we explore why asking the question “Are you engaged at work?” misses the mark. Dan presents a paradigm shift, encouraging us to rethink the way we view engagement and fulfillment in our careers.
Therefore, how do we reverse-engineer work-life balance? Dan introduces a groundbreaking approach that involves understanding the interconnectedness of various life factors. He introduces the concept of “work-life bloom” and delves into the four quadrants that contribute to a holistic sense of thriving.
Our conversation takes a critical look at traditional career trajectories versus the concept of a career mosaic. Dan also explores the idea of nonlinear career paths and how embracing a mosaic approach can lead to greater fulfillment and authenticity.
Dan Pontefract is a renowned leadership strategist, author, and keynote speaker with over two decades of experience in senior executive roles at companies such as SAP, TELUS, and Business Objects. Since then, he has worked with organizations worldwide, including Salesforce, Amgen, the State of Tennessee, Nestle, Canada Post, Autodesk, BMO, the Government of Canada, Manulife, Nutrien, and the City of Toronto, among others.
He’s an award winning and best selling author of four books. Lead Care Win, Open to Think, The Purpose Effect, and Flat Army. His fifth book, Work Life Bloom, will be published in October 2023. Dan also writes for Forbes, Harvard Business Review, and other outlets.
Join us for this transformative episode as we challenge conventional wisdom about work-life balance, authenticity, and leadership.
- [4:40] Work life balance is a myth
- [7:40] The myth of authenticity at work: you can’t be authentic when you’re expected to separate work and life
- [10:40] Why ‘are you engaged at work’ is the wrong question to ask
- [12:50] Reverse-engineering work life balance
- [14:15] The four quadrants of work life factors to be in bloom
- [18:10] Differences in generations as well as genders
- [21:55] Revelations within his research
- [23:40] The 6 factors you use to evaluate work and life bloom
- [31:10] How Gen Z sees leadership differently and why belonging is so important
- [33:10] The career ladder vs. career mosaic
- [36:40] What prevents leaders from valuing employees
- [39:20] How to be transparent about pay
- [41:25] Six life factors to thrive at work and in your personal life
- [51:55] A moment that gave him deepend self awareness
- [52:45] A practice or ritual that he uses to regulate his nervous system
- [53:50] A song or genre of music that makes her feel connected to something bigger than himself
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Pre-order his book here: www.worklifebloom.com
Connect with Dan
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dan.pontefract
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/dpontefract
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/danpontefract
I hope you enjoyed this episode of Evolve: A New Era of Leadership. I’d love to hear from you.